Monday 16 May 2011

iPad Pilot project for Kamloops SD

I am awaiting the hardware arrival of the first batch of Apple iPads to WSS in Kamloops, BC. They are going to be used mostly for Social Studies and for Astronomy classes. Our schools new and improved WiFi network will enable this project to go ahead.

It was really a surprise that this project was approved and that the funds were somehow found. In a later post I will explain how I got it approved.

I am also planning on using this blog to chronicle the implementation of a class set of iPads on the school and learning of students.
Also we will share our experiences and best apps around for educational use.

How are the iPads going to be used in the classroom? Again a future post. Sorry you will have to wait, but I wanted to start the blog somewhere.

Jeremy Reid

4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the next post. I love astronomy but I must admit I am not great at remembering all of the constellations, facts, etc.

    I have been using GoSkyWatch and really like it for what I use it for. What I find most interesting is that when you point to the ground (i.e. the other side of the planet) you can see the stars that are there. It really brings home the idea that the earth is a sphere. My 10 year old son and I had some good chats about this.

    My wife is starting to use iPads at her school as well. I think she is using them as part of the writing process for younger students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There does seem to be a growing number of education institutions that are using or testing iPads.
    I just ran across an article that goes over iPad pedagogy and lessons:
    http://www.elearnmag.org/subpage.cfm?section=articles&article=159-1&sms_ss=twitter&at_xt=4dd5271ac086bf03,0


    Thanks for the app tip: GoSkyWatch, will definitely check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Jeremy on securing the funding for this project in such tight rimes. I look forward to reading about how it goes and how you went about getting it off the ground. My district has been talking about similar pilots and I hope to be involved. Any advice you could blog would be well received. Thanks, @jeremyinscho

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jeremy
    I have several other posts that are in progress on the iPad project and will post them soon.
    It's been really busy with the school year coming to an end soon. Should have some time by next week for more posts, and hopefully the iPads will arrive by then.

    ReplyDelete